Monday, March 17, 2014

Red Sequin 'Little Rock' Dress- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

 Styled after the famous red sequin dress designed by Travilla for the film ''Gentlemen Prefer Blondes'' and worn by Marilyn Monroe. My version of the dress is made using a stretch sequin fabric with a swirl pattern and lined with a stretch satin, it gives it a more snug fit but still allows the wearer to move. The front panel is a stretch mesh with a nude lining behind it. I hand stitched two rows of rhinestone trim the the sleeve. The back zipper unfortunately is black i haven't been able to find red invisible zippers that are long enough. I used a 6'' V shaped bra wire for the front of the neckline, that is what is keeping it from pulling and the midriff flat, I also added boning to the front darts and side seams to eliminate wrinkles around the middle. I like this fabric a lot more than the costume sequin fabric, those glued on sequins really gum up the sewing machine. All in all I am happy with how it came out :-)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you did an excellent job, it does look much more wearable than the original, Any woman with the body will rock this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I am looking for this dress for an Oldschool Hollywood black tie auction in October. Do you sell them? If so, I am very interested! My e mail is tsjacob7@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, Yes i do you can find the listing here
      https://www.etsy.com/listing/78169336/red-sequin-little-rock-dress-marilyn

      Delete